About

Tifft Nature Preserve

Tifft Nature Preserve
1200 Fuhrmann Boulevard
Buffalo, New York 14203
716/825-6397

Tifft Nature Preserve is a 264-acre nature refuge dedicated to conservation and environmental education. During the 1950’s and 1960’s, Tifft's land was a dumpsite for city refuse. The Preserve was created in 1972 from land purchased by the City of Buffalo for a landfill site. Concerned citizens recognized the ecological importance of the site and convinced the City to plan for the area’s preservation. The completed landfill incorporated many safety measures, allowing the land to have a new purpose, a nature preserve which opened in 1976. Nearly two million cubic feet of solid municipal waste was enclosed in clay and covered with soil excavated from another section of the Preserve. Ponds were enlarged and trees and wildflowers were planted. Conservation of Tifft’s large cattail marsh helped attract a variety of animals. Today, Tifft Nature Preserve maintains a natural setting. Animals from the entire region take advantage of its ponds, marshes and woodlands. It has become the urban sanctuary many people envisioned more than twenty years ago.