45 West Mohawk Street
Buffalo, New York 14202
The Olympic Tower building was commissioned in 1901 as a new facility for the second oldest YMCA chapter in the United States. Its architects, Green and Wicks, were chosen as the result of a design competition judged by nationally prominent architectural critic A D. F. Hamlin. In designing the English-Flemish Renaissance style building, Green and Wicks took advantage of the broad property on one of the radiating avenues just off of Niagara Square, a result of Joseph Ellicott's 1804 street plan, and sited the building to dominate the triangular intersection. Unfortunately, the building of the Buffalo Convention Center in the late 1970's interrupted the street pattern and there are now entrances on both Pearl and Franklin Streets. This building is on the National Register of Historic Places.